Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Octopus in the Saltwater Aquarium

Octopuses are difficult but not impossible to keep in saltwater aquariums.  You will need at least a 40 gallon aquarium for them and you must be able to completely seal off the top of the aquarium or your Octopus will escape.  The Octopus needs an aquarium with plenty of live rock and ample hiding places.  They are a Nocturnal so Actinic lighting would be best.   I would recommend keeping them by themselves.

The Octopus can be fed live crayfish, live ghost shrimp, krill, and mussels.  There water quality must be optimal at all times, especially nitrates.  You should do small frequent water changes to siphon any left over food. 

Octopuses unfortunately only live 1 – 2 years.  They are one of the smartest and fascinating aquarium creatures you will ever keep.  I have heard stories of them breaking out of there aquarium and sliding across the floor into another aquarium to eat the fish and than return back to there original aquarium.   I was lucky enough to keep an Octopus for a year in a 60 gallon aquarium.  I trained my Octopus to take live shrimp out of my hand.  I can’t say enough how fun they are to watch but I would only recommend them for an advanced aquarist.



No comments:

Post a Comment